Winewatch has initiated and delivered the following projects in the Margaret River wine region funded by the Australian Government’s National Landcare Programme and Caring for our Country. The projects have been managed by Curtin University on behalf of Winewatch.
Entwine Australia (2009 – 2012)
EntWine Australia is the Australian wine industry’s voluntary environmental assurance scheme. The scheme was developed by the Winemakers Federation of Australia and launched in 2009. It allows grape growers and winemakers to receive formal certification of their practices according to recognised standards.
To receive Entwine Australia membership growers and wineries need to achieve certification against an independently audited environmental certification program. The WFA has endorsed an existing scheme (Freshcare Environmental).
For more information go to http://www.wfa.org.au/entwineaustralia/default.aspx and
Winewatch provides the following support to wineries and vineyards to achieve Entwine Australia membership:
- Freshcare Environmental training;
- Technical support to develop the Environmental Action Plan and Biodiversity Management Plan required to achieve Freshcare Environmental certification
- Financial support to implement actions from Environmental Action Plans
Please click on the following link to read a case study about Entwine.
Winery wastewater management (2007 – 2009)
The Winewatch wastewater management project focused on improving industry capacity for wastewater management by small wineries. Small wineries are defined as those that produce less than 350 kilolitres of wine per annum (crush less than approximately 500 tonnes of grapes) and are not required to be licensed through the Western Australian Department of Environment and Conservation under the Environmental Protection Act Regulations 1987 (Part 5, schedule 1 – prescribed premises category).
Project outputs include:
Dataset of wastewater characteristics at three small wineries over twelve months during 2008/09. Wastewater data from three small wineries over a 12 month period.
A series of fact sheets on issues related to wastewater management at small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 1: Winery wastewater composition and potential environmental impacts of wastewater disposal from small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 2: Reducing winery wastewater volumes and pollution loads from small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 3: Winery wastewater disposal to land from small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 4: Subsurface disposal of winery wastewater for small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 5: Ponds for percolation/evaporation and storage of wastewater from small wineries.
- Winewatch fact sheet 6: Disposing of winery wastewater from a small winery using irrigation.